Being a second populated nation, India still faces another hidden struggle and that is Infertility among couples. There is a drastic decline in the fertility rate. Yes, it is good news for the overpopulated nation but its a bothersome situation for couples.
As per the 2018 Indian Society of Assisted Reproduction, 27.5 million couples suffer from infertility in India with higher rates in urban areas. 1 out of 6 couples that mean 10-14% of the Indian population are affected by infertility.
The inability to have children is emotional distress but with the increased awareness and treatments, couples can take a sigh of relief. India is growing in the field of medicine and technology. IVF treatment is widely accepted and adopted by couples in India
Among various treatments, IVF is one treatment that has a success rate of 30% to 35%. IVF (In-vitro Fertilization) is a fertility treatment suitable for couples, single parents and for a couple of the same sex. The process takes 6-8 weeks which starts from consultation followed by medicines for egg maturation then extraction of the eggs from the ovary for fertilization process with the sperm in a laboratory and then implantation of an embryo.
Things to do
If you are currently undergoing or planning to undergo IVF treatment or any other fertility treatments make sure to know and follow a few things.
Consult fertility specialists
Know in-depth about the treatment and its process, clear all your doubts. Being aware will make you more confident.
Know your hormone levels
Your hormone plays a bigger role in this process, taking too much stress can affect your treatment. Anxiety, little stress is bound to happen while undergoing treatment and your emotions will undergo a roller coaster ride but try to control and minimize it.
Your doctor will advise you certain things which you need to follow strictly
Take an insurance policy that can cover your IVF treatment cost.
Share your emotions, feelings with your partner or closed one. Getting support from family and closed one can make you feel stress-free. Remember it takes multiple attempts to achieve a successful IVF. So never give up and be positive. Do not let any negativity affect you.
Do's and Don'ts
- Do not stress
- Have Proper 8 hour sleep
- Stay healthy and eat a balanced diet
- Moderate Exercise and Meditation
- Avoid raw eggs as it can cause food poisoning
- Avoid artificial sweeteners
- Avoid cardio-exercises
- Include a lot of whole grains, legumes, lentils, beans, and healthy fats
- Avoid highly processed foods and red meat
- If your obese maintaining healthy weight is important as BMI of over 30 could affect the cycle negatively.
- Take proper vitamin supplements and other medications
- Avoid bloating by consuming water or coconut water
- Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol or caffeine
- Start a prenatal vitamin 30 days before your IVF cycle.
- Start folic acid supplements.
- Start the intake of fish oil as it helps embryo development.
- Start vitamin D supplements If you have low vitamin D issue (Make sure to have all the vitamins, medicine and other supplements under their guidance)
During the cycle
Follow the same precycle routine but make sure to follow a few things as well
- Do not take any medicine without consulting your fertility specialists
- Avoid seafood throughout the treatment as they are in high in mercury
- Do not take regular steam sauna bath as extreme heat or radiation can reduce fertility
- Drink a lot of water and liquids to prevent Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome
Maintain to follow things from pre and post cycle and some other things especially during the post cycle.
- Do not lift things that are heavy in weights
- Do not strain yourself
Following the above-mentioned things can aid the process to make your IVF treatment successful.
Every woman is different so their experiences are also different according to their health.
- Light bleeding is normal after the egg retrieval.
- If you face Heavy bleeding consult your doctor immediately
- Do not use tampons during bleeding.
- Facing a bad period after IVF cycles are normal but that can be tackled by taking medications
- Most of the women face digestive issues, bloating, nausea, hot flashes, headache, exhaustion, and fatigue
Proper medication, staying hydrated, walking, yoga and meditation will be helpful to handle all the stress. Do all the things that you and your partner love, shop, eat your favorite food, massage or hair spa, go on vacation, pamper yourself and your partner and enjoy your time.
IVF is an investment of couples with their time, money and energy. Take good care of your and your partner’s health always especially for 3 months during the treatment.
Carrying a baby means a lot of care and attention is needed so do not ignore prenatal vitamins as they are important for fetal health. Understand one thing during IVF Cycle your emotion might heighten due to shots but make sure it doesn’t take a toll on your health. Ensure your body is fully prepared for intensive medical by being healthy.