Opting for a male fertility test in our IVF Spring Fertility Clinic in Mumbai will provide you with more assurance regarding your fertility.
What is Male Fertility Test?
The male fertility test is a medical procedure which checks for fertility issues that could come up due to the quality, quantity or motility of the male sperm specimen. It involves a detailed sperm analysis by the experts at Spring IVF and examines the density, morphology and motility of the sperm sample.
Before opting for a male fertility test it is important that the participant abstains from ejaculating for 2-5 days. Doing so will provide the team with the optimal sperm sample for analysis and diagnosis.
Who is the Male Fertility Test suitable for?
- The male fertility test is ideal for those men who want a general idea about their fertility. Administering this test will also give them hints if they need to change their lifestyle to better fertility.
- It could be best suited for men who are about to get married and are looking to test their chances of conceiving a child through natural means.
- If you are having problems conceiving and would like to know what kind of assisted reproduction technique is best suited for you, consider opting for the consultation and scan procedure instead.
Overview of Male Infertility
Male infertility is a common issue and there can be many reasons behind it. So it’s necessary for men to get infertility tests done at the earliest but most of them avoid due to embarrassment. Men should understand that it’s completely normal and they should not feel ashamed. It is reported by doctors that they observe half of infertility cases are always due to the male partner. Lack of enough quality sperm is a major reason while fertile women fail to conceive.
Male infertility means when a man is not able to make his fertile female partner pregnant. 7% of all men are affected by infertility issues.
Which doctor to consult?
It requires a fertility specialist, urologist also known as andrologist or reproductive endocrinologist (RE).
- Difficulty in ejaculation
- Less sexual desire
- Erectile dysfunction
- A painful lump or swelling of the testicle
- Respiratory problems
- Unusual breast growth
- Less facial hair
- Lesser Sperm count
When you should visit a doctor and get a fertility test done?
Any couple who want to have a child but are unable to even after unprotected regular sex should visit a doctor.
Men should get their fertility test if they are age above 35 or face some genitals issues or symptoms given below or have some medical history.
- Testicular damage
- Erectile dysfunction
- Undergone cancer treatment earlier
Treatment for Infertility
- Once the doctor knows the exact issue; treatment is possible using conventional methods such as medications and surgeries plus with the help of Assisted reproductive technology (ART) like IVF, IUI a couple can have babies.
- In the case of varicocele; Surgery is recommended.
- In case of no sperm; sperm-retrieval techniques are used.
- In case of infections; Antibiotic treatment is recommended
- In case of sex-related problems such as erectile dysfunction or premature ejaculation; Medication is used.
- In case of Hormone issues; hormone replacement is done
- In cases where male infertility can’t be treated but the couple wants to have a child, the doctor might suggest taking the help of Assisted reproductive technology (ART) where sperm donor can be used to achieve pregnancy, where sperms are inserted in women genitals using IVF or IUI Techniques.
What are Various Tests to check infertility?
A doctor may recommend treatments that are best for you as per the situations. Sometimes a combination of treatments is required for the best results. It might take several tests to figure out the exact reason for infertility, so don’t get discouraged and irritated; have patience.
- Doctors conduct the pelvic examination to look for chlamydia, gonorrhoea, or other genital diseases that can affect fertility
- Semen analysis is a major test to check if a man has enough sperm, good shape, and motility. A healthy man should have 70 to 80 million sperm/ml. Healthy sperm are found out by the shape, the way they swim, move or get through the egg passing a long journey from the cervix to the fallopian tubes. Normal sperm is said to be healthy if 50% of the sperm are moving.
- Scrotal ultrasound test to find out varicocele or other problems in the testicles
- A blood test to check hormone levels such as testosterone
- Testicular biopsy to find out the sample sperm from the testicle with a needle.
- Transrectal ultrasound tests to find blockages in the prostate.
What are the reasons for Infertility in Men?
There can be single as well as many combined reasons for infertility in men; some of the reasons are listed below.
- Chlamydia, STD, internal blockages, birth defects in genitals can cause infertility in men.
- In Retrograde ejaculation disorder, men cannot ejaculate semen, as it enters the bladder due to diabetes, genitals weakness or surgeries or prolonged medications.
- Cystic fibrosis and chromosomal disorders is a rare case.
- Autoimmune disease can also affect sperm.
- Hormonal imbalance in the endocrine system and thyroid glands
- Elongate diseases such as heart problems, diabetes, blood pressure or side effects of prolonged medications can cause premature ejaculation or erectile dysfunction.
- 15% of men have Varicoceles in the scrotum which restrict blood flow to the genitals causing infertility
- Excessive steroid hormones
- Tension, Addiction of Drugs, Excessive Alcohol and Smoking can bring down sperm count.
- Hazardous toxins, chemicals or radiation exposure.
- Wearing tight clothes, Regular long hours of a bike ride or frequent hot baths and saunas can reduce sperm production.
What does the Male Fertility Test consist of?
General physical examination and medical history:
During the male fertility test the fertility specialist will examine your genitals for defects. You will be questioned not only about your medical history but a brief medical history of your family as well. You will have to open up about chronic health conditions, injuries and sexual habits.
A semen sample is required to be provided by the participant. Laboratory tests are performed on the sample to check for a variety of factors and abnormalities. The shape (morphology) and movement (motility) of the sperm is tested. The lab will also check your semen for signs of problems such as infections.
Multiple semen deposits will have to be made at different times to ensure the most accurate results. If there don’t seem to be signs of any issues then it concludes the fertility test for me. Depending on the results of the tests additional diagnosis may be considered.
Male Fertility Tests with IVF Spring Fertility Center
Two male fertility testing packages are provided at IVF Spring Fertility Center.
Basic fertility assessment:
The comprehensive basic fertility assessment involves testing a semen sample for a range of parameters. This includes morphology, motility, concentration and anti-sperm antibodies (MAR test).
Complete male fertility (Andrology) assessment:
The complete male fertility (Andrology) assessment involves the basic assessment as well as the assessment of prevalence of oxidative damage, damage to the genetic material in the sperms, prevalence of genetic abnormality and screening for silent infections.
A doctor will consult as per your conditions. He will ask you a few questions and conduct a few tests, detail screening of genitals and take semen test
The doctor will ask certain questions
- About your health, Medical history, major surgeries, any regular Medication and about lifestyles (cigarettes, drinking habits, caffeine)
- About your sex life (how often you have sex, any issue related to sex, any sexually transmitted diseases)
Doctor’s consultation and various tests can help him to understand the actual reason.
Fertility testing will help you undergo the right treatment at the right time so that do not face any problem in future. It gives you peace of mind to plan well for family planning in the future.
Even if you are healthy, newly wedded or doesn’t come under the risk age for infertility; You should still go for a fertility check-up. It may sound unimportant to you but you will have detailed knowledge of your current fertility status and risk; plus doctor’s assistance can help you a lot with invaluable, insights related to your health.
At Clarra, Patients can find Infertility specialist as per their convenience; as per their preferred date and time, area. At claraa we understand and know people’s concern, therefore we make sure there are complete privacy and secrecy. We know how important and crucial it is for you to find the trusted doctors who can help you in having a healthy baby; therefore we list doctors with complete verification. So do not have any inhibitions and can contact us at any time to get more information.
FAQs related to Male Fertility Test
What is a male fertility test?
A male fertility test is a diagnostic tool to evaluate a man's reproductive health. It includes semen analysis to assess the quantity and quality of sperm, hormone testing, and physical exam.
When should I consider a male fertility test?
If you and your partner have been trying to conceive for a year without success, it's recommended to get a fertility evaluation. If you have any medical conditions that may affect fertility, a male fertility test may be performed earlier.
How is semen analysis done?
Semen analysis involves collecting a semen sample and analyzing it in a laboratory. The sample is evaluated for sperm count, motility, morphology, and other factors that can affect fertility.
Can lifestyle factors affect male fertility?
Yes, lifestyle factors such as smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, obesity, and exposure to toxins can affect male fertility. It's recommended to adopt a healthy lifestyle to promote optimal reproductive health.
Is male infertility treatable?
In many cases, male infertility is treatable. Treatment options include medication to improve sperm production, surgery to correct blockages, and assisted reproductive technologies such as IVF and ICSI. A fertility specialist can help determine the best course of treatment.
Begin your parenting journey...
IVF Spring fertility center is glad to be able to ease some worries of the men wondering about their fertility issues. At IVF Spring we ensure to do a complete analysis of your fertility problems and provide best IVF treatment. Only once we have all the relevant data do we provide sound advice on the next steps you should take to take care of your fertility.
Know Your Fertility with Male Fertility Test.