If you are a new patient, the egg retrieval process can be daunting. You may be wondering, what exactly is involved?
Just like any surgery, it is a serious procedure that goes best when there’s careful planning. In this blog post, you will get to know about egg retrieval and we will make sure to prepare you for your best retrieval experience.
What is Egg Retrieval?
It is a procedure when a doctor removes mature eggs from the ovaries for use in assisted reproductive technology
(ART) procedures. Many patients are considering procedures that require egg retrieval. The egg retrieval is a thirty-
minute procedure. No cuts, no stitches and the anesthesia is “Twilight” general anesthesia, that carries almost no risk of complications.
Note – You will be told to fast from midnight the night before and to stop drinking four hours before the procedure. Why? Because food or drink in your system can cause something called aspiration.
‘‘The egg retrieval process is fast and basically painless’’. It is a one-day procedure.”
The Average length of a typical egg retrieval procedure is about 30 to 40 minutes. Between Preparation, the procedure, and recovery, you can expect to be at the clinic for 1 to 2 hours total. During egg retrieval, the doctor uses a transvaginal ultrasound probe, like the ultrasound that is used to track your ovaries throughout your cycle. The ultrasound gives the doctor an immediate view of the ovary so that they can see the precise position of every follicle. This allows the most attainable number of eggs to be retrieved throughout the procedure. Once all of the eggs have been retrieved, you will rest for 30-60minutes in the recovery area, where a nurse will monitor you as you wake up from the anesthesia.
Eight to 15 eggs
should be retrieved from the woman’s ovaries for IVF, surrogacy and egg-freezing process. It is the optimal number of eggs to retrieve without putting the woman at increased risk for ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome. The syndrome, which affects concerning 10 % of women undergoing IVF.
Suggestion-Ask your doctor how many eggs they are expecting?
What is Egg- Freezing Process?
Egg freezing is the method of preserving a number of your eggs by retrieving them from your ovaries, freezing them, and storing them so you can use them to get pregnant later on. Cancer patients may also consider egg freezing as a means of fertility preservation before having chemotherapy.
No responsible clinic can offer you a 100% guarantee that freezing your eggs currently will result in pregnancy and live birth when you decide to use those eggs.
Note– Once the eggs are removed from your body and frozen according to precise protocols in a lab, they can no longer age. Your healthy, high -quality eggs, once frozen stay healthy and high quality.
At what age & why you should consider preserving your eggs?
In general, the younger you are the better. You’ll get the most healthy eggs before you turn 30. You should consider preserving your eggs to preserve your options. If you want to put off having a family. Freezing your eggs buys you time and might provide you with more choices in the future.
“Any healthy woman who presently has at least some healthy eggs and isn’t yet ready to have a baby is a good candidate for egg freezing.”
Egg- Freezing Cost
The cost of egg freezing varies according to city, clinic, and patient. Cost of freezing your own eggs is – 70,000 to 90,000 and per annum, maintenance cost is 20,000- 30,000.
Egg Retrieval Cost
IVF, egg retrieval is known for its maximum cost, which is different in every nation. The amount you pay depends upon how you approach the way toward pursuing pregnancy. At most centres, the egg retrieval procedure costs about $1,500 and that doesn’t include the drugs, which alone can range from $1,000 to $2,000.
What after Egg Retrieval
- After your retrieval, you might experience normal egg retrieval pain and cramping
- Weight gain may also occur, if you experience a weight gain of over 5 pounds during your injection cycle or after your egg retrieval and/or you have serious bloating or pain, let your fertility doctor know immediately
- The cramping and bloating usually lasts for 7-10 days, after which your ovaries should return to their normal size
“We suggest you go straight home and relax for the rest of the day.”
Note-Complications after egg retrieval are rare.
Egg Retrieval Recovery
Because egg retrieval is an in-patient procedure, the recovery period is much shorter compared to a procedure that requires a specialized surgical unit and operating room. Recovery is usually quite rapid
Few recommendations to ease the recovery process:
- Avoid medication except that which the doctor has asked the patient to take
- Avoid tub baths, swimming, hot tubs, Jacuzzis or immersing oneself in water from the time of the egg retrieval until after the pregnancy test. Take showers rather than baths
Egg Retrieval Side Effects
- bdominal cramping
- Soreness in the vaginal area
- Vaginal bleeding
“Most women don’t experience egg retrieval side effects- and those they do experience are minor and short-lived.”
Is IVF Egg Retrieval Process Painful?
Egg retrieval generally takes place under some form of sedation, thus you’ll not feel any pain.
Note -You will not feel the pain nor remember it afterward.
How to Get Rid of Bloating After Egg Retrieval
- Drink more water – One sure fire way to ease bloating is to drink more water, reach for a water cup and drink up.
- Eat the right fiber – Insoluble fiber is better for you and it will also help fight disease and reduce belly bloat.
- Avoid artificial sweeteners – Be aware of artificial sweeteners in the foods, they aren’t absorbed properly and hence cause bloating.
‘’The good news is that the bloating you’re experiencing in your stomach is a sign that your body is responding to vital hormones in the fertility drugs.’’
We need to be also aware of the do’s and don’ts after egg retrieval –
- The body should be kept well hydrated in the days just after the eggs have been retrieved. Regarding food, we will discuss in the next point what to eat after egg retrieval. But, for now, let us stick to the importance of water. Plain water is the best. But you could also choose some fluids which would keep you hydrated and also provide nutrients.
- Remember to keep your meal as a good mix of all food types. You do not need to eat huge quantities, in fact, small meals every two hours is the better option.
- The retrieval of eggs is an invasive procedure on your ovaries, so don’t be worried if you feel some pain, and it is perfectly fine to take some painkillers as per your doctor’s advice.
- Discuss with your doctor the post-retrieval schedule and do not feel hesitant to ask for periodic updates. A daily report should be good enough, and anything more frequent would freak out your doctors.
Symptoms of OHSS after Egg Retrieval
- Firstly, loss of appetite
- Secondly, feeling bloated
- Thirdly, nausea
- Fourthly, vomiting
- Fifthly, decreased urination
Note – OHSS Symptoms are minor and resolve spontaneously. Symptoms typically appear four to 5 days after a woman’s eggs are collected in the IVF retrieval method.
Heavy Period after Egg Retrieval
You should expect a menstrual cycle within 14 days after the egg retrieval. The first period is probably going to be heavy compared to your average period. But, if you experience heavy period, such as soaking one to two pads an hour for several hours in a row, this is not normal. Eat vitamin C- rich foods and omega 3 fatty acids- it is responsible for the production of hormones & they help reduce menstrual pain and heavy bleeding.
Gas Pain after Egg Retrieval
Stress can block the blood from circulating naturally in the digestive sphere, which may lead to gas pain. So, make sure you stay calm and reduce stress levels before, during and after your egg retrieval. If you experience severe gas pain, seek medical attention immediately.
Note-The gas pain after egg retrieval will disperse naturally after some time.
Pro Tip – 1. Coriander can help you relieve from gas pain! You can use one teaspoon of dried coriander leaves with one boiling water- it will help you to get rid of the gas fast.
Pro Tip – 2. Keep away from milk that tends to trigger gas.
You will know the results of the egg retrieval process right away, you’ll be told how many eggs were retrieved and after the egg retrieval process, your eggs will be moved immediately to the lab.
World Leading Fertility Centre
At IVF Spring Fertility Center located in Mumbai. We want everyone to have a really positive egg retrieval experience and to make your egg retrieval procedure seamless our team of experienced IVF experts will help you in complete understanding of the process. Ready to learn more about Egg Retrieval? Schedule a free, no-obligation conversation with our fertility doctor.