Being a parent is the dream of most people around the world. However, what happens when infertility stands in the way of that dream? Surrogacy has helped numerous people achieve parenthood easily, and given them hope for a better future, full of fun, laughter, and happiness. If you are considering opting for surrogacy, here’s everything you need to know, which will help you make a decision.
‘However motherhood comes to you, it’s a miracle.’
What is Surrogacy?
Surrogacy involves an acquaintance or anonymous woman (surrogate) carrying the pregnancy to term on your behalf, and relinquishing her rights to the baby, post birth. There are two types of surrogacy:
Altruistic vs Commercial Surrogacy
In commercial surrogacy, the surrogate is paid a fee for her services. Whereas, in altruistic surrogacy, the surrogate is only reimbursed for her expenses during pregnancy, such as medical, food, travel bills, etc.
Gestational vs Traditional Surrogacy
In traditional surrogacy, the surrogate’s own eggs are fertilized by the intended father’s or donor’s sperm, through IUI treatment. In gestational surrogacy, the intended mother’s or donor’s eggs are fertilized in the lab by the intended father’s or donor’s sperm, after which the embryo is transferred to the surrogate’s womb for implantation. This follows the IVF treatment method.
Who Can Benefit From Surrogacy?
Surrogacy might be the best option for you, if:
- Fertility treatments such as IVF (In-Vitro Fertilization) or IUI (Intra-Uterine Insemination) have been unsuccessful for you.
- You were born without a uterus or have had a hysterectomy (where the uterus is removed).
- Pregnancy and childbirth might risk you or your baby’s life, due to a pre-existing medical condition.
- Your uterus is not conducive to pregnancy through natural or assisted methods.
- You have suffered recurrent abortions.
How to Prepare for Surrogacy
You can prepare for surrogacy by:
- Looking for a surrogacy clinic in Mumbai or your city.
- Finding out about the traditional and gestational surrogacy cost in India, beforehand.
- Starting the nesting process, by preparing to welcome and take care of your baby in your home.
- Preparing yourself and your partner to share responsibilities.
- Joining parenting classes and support groups in the community.
What is the Success Rate?
The success rate greatly depends on the surrogacy program and fertility of the surrogate and intended parents. If the sperm and egg used is of high quality, the chances of success increase. However, intended parents who wish to use their sperm and/or egg, even though they have a low fertility rate can have a slimmer chance of success.
Advantages of Surrogacy
Surrogacy gives new hope to couples suffering from infertility, and allows them to enjoy their little miracle. It is also much easier than the adoption process. Moreover, intended parents can experience life with the child right from birth, which is not always possible with adoption, due to strict regulations.
What does Surrogacy cost?
The cost of surrogacy depends on a large number of factors. Only after deciding on your exact program and preferences can an estimate be calculated. The cost of surrogacy in Mumbai and other cities depends on the following factors:
- Commercial or altruistic surrogacy, the surrogate mother’s fees or expenses, etc.
- Gestational or traditional, the cost of IUI and IVF treatment.
- Cost of donor egg or sperm if required
- Surrogacy clinic fees, attorney fees, etc.
Knowing the A to Z of surrogacy helps you make an informed decision, and truly determine if this process is the best option you have. A good surrogacy clinic in India can guide you through the process and give you clarity on the aspects involved in surrogacy.
Surrogacy is a miraculous experience for everyone involved, and gives surrogates, as well as intended parents a truly enriching time of their lives. A successful surrogacy process depends on the clinic, program, and fertility treatments involved, which work together to produce a positive outcome.
The fertility treatments at IVF Spring, Mumbai, India, promote excellence and compassion, enabling infertile couples all over to fulfill their dream. Our team efficiently diagnoses your issue and understands your treatment goals, working together to provide trustworthy, safe, and cost-effective treatments. To get in touch with our counsellor, call 9920095500. Alternatively, you can send an email to email@example.com or click the link below, to book an appointment